Friday 5 December 2014

Threads of my photographic fabric

About three years ago, I placed an ad on Kijiji looking for an assistant who would work by my side for wedding events. I am a very picky person, and sometimes a little quirky - so finding the right match for me seemed like a daunting task. I was concerned that A: I would not find someone who would like me. Or B: not find someone I could tolerate. I will admit that I was really nervous and when faced with the task of "interviewing" an assistant, I was reluctant.

Enter interview number one. Dawn. "I will be the girl wearing a black headband" she told me prior to our interview. Tim Horton's parking lot: girl with black headband emerges from car, checking her cell phone and looking a teenie bit frazzled. Hmmm. Red flag? Maybe - but I am always giving people the benefit of the doubt and I really wanted a cup of coffee! She may be laughing now because she knows me well enough to know that what I really wanted was a beer! LOL We sat and chatted and compared notes. I had glanced at her portfolio before our meeting so I already knew she was good. Then, proud moment, during our conversation she mentions a photo she had seen online and could not remember where or how she saw it. She only remembered that she had loved it, and wished she knew where the image had been taken. It was my image! Interview turned to chatting, chatting turned to laughing and laughing turned to "would you like to join me for an engagement session?".

I liked her. From the start. We are both strong willed, smart and both have some pretty brilliant ideas.

Dawn Brooks - Hourglass Imaging - was a fantastic second shooter, is an amazing photographer and is a very awesome friend!

I no longer offer wedding photography, but Dawn specializes in it! So, if you ever need someone to capture your wedding day - give her a shout!




Another girl that I could not do without is Melissa. Ah Melissa! We met online through her site Baby Bandz Boutique just over a year ago when I wanted to order some awesome headbands. Our greetings and exchanges at my front door became longer, our messages became more in depth and over the year we have become great friends. She is my newborn assistant - for the most part - and I love her to death!

I took a good part of last year mentoring Melissa, teaching her the basics of photography. She was a keener, right from the start. Making notes, asking lots of questions and she did her homework every day! She made me giggle. She has recently opened the doors to her new business, Days Captured Photography and is a budding photographer!




I am part of a very supportive photography community, and have developed some great friendships this past year. The support we share, give and offer is amazing. Photography is a very competitive industry, one in which you could make a not of enemies! Lucky for me and a few other gals, we have established a network of threads, holding together a fantastic photographic bolt of fabric.

Thank you girls!



1 comment:

  1. Really awesome photography session. I love last photo most.

    ReplyDelete